Wednesday 17 August 2011

Review: The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

So I just got back from the west of Ireland, and I finally have internet! When I was down there, I finished The Book Theif.
As I said before, it's about WWII. The protagonist is a girl names Liesel, who has a love of books. It's a fantastic tale about the power of words, and how much they can anchor us in an unsteady time.
I really enjoyed Death's narration (Yes, narrated by Death!). I found the focus on colours truly interesting, and quite true, surprisingly. Zusak uses creative imagery as regards things like the sky.
Zusak also has a way of making you feel truly hollow at the horror of that time, without using so much as a single gruesome phrase. I love books that make you feel.
Over all, this book is fantastic. You should read it, even if, like me, you're not so fussed on non-fantasy/sci-fi stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment