Monday 25 July 2011

Review: The Two Towers - J. R. R. Tolkien

I'm not sure this merits it's own review, as the Lord of the Rings is just one continued journey, and each book continues on where the other left off, but it's what I read, so I'm reviewing it! :)
What I noticed about this book, in contrast to The Fellowship, is that there are far fewer songs. Perhaps it gets darker as Frodo travels closer to Mordor, or maybe Tolkien just ran out of rhymes, either way I miss the merry songs.
The company has also broken apart in this book, so there is a lot more to follow, and more regions of Middle-Earth are expired. Whether it is the lonely barren landscapes around Mordor, or the Ents of Fangorn Forest.
Overall, as I have said before, the Lord of the Rings is a must read. Truly fantastic detail. The only thing I would fault is that it focuses more on characters and scenes, rather than emotions, so deaths and sorrow don't have as true an impact as I would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment